Friday, May 6, 2016


I am ready for email 2.0.
Have you ever heard someone say that your email inbox is really full of other peoples agendas?
I want to be able to say what my agendas are, and make the sender tell me why their message should be on my agenda.

In fact, when I get an email, why is it that I cannot add my own information (metadata) to it?
The best that any system seems to offer is to let me put it into a folder. Really?
Aren't we past the whole idea that everything lives in some kind of taxonomy?

What if an email relates to two different subjects?
For example, an expense receipt for a customer might be categorized under receipts, expense, and a customer name.
When I get an email, I want to add some of my own keywords to it so that I can cross reference it different ways.

Don't get me wrong, I still like the folders, but they are the _only_ metadata I can easily add to my mail.
Well...not the only metadata.
I have Outlook and I can add multiple categories, but it is limited to a small number and I bet I would have more than it supports.


Thanks for letting me get that out of my system.
I found this article on Outlook best practices that I like.
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Best-practices-for-Outlook-2010-f90e5f69-8832-4d89-95b3-bfdf76c82ef8

Back to the inbox.

No comments: